Greece is not just sea and islands but also mountains and landscape!
We want to introduce you one of the most interesting places in the Pindus mountains in Central Greece:
Plastiras Lake and surrounding area!
We focus on the most iconic spots and we shoot old stone bridges around the area and the Lake from many different spots.
• Plastiras Lake
Plastiras Lake is renowned for its beautiful landscape composed of the alpine peaks and fjord-like scenes.
The main focus of this All Day Plastiras Lake Photo Tour as a private tour, is to explore and photograph one of the most interesting and beautiful spots in Greece, near Meteora.
Plastiras Lake is 60km away from Meteora, only 1+ hours by car. Plastiras Lake also called Tavropos Reservoir. Is an artificial lake fed by Tavropos (Megdovas) river, located in Karditsa regional unit, near the city of Karditsa, Greece. The lake is named after the Greek general and politician Nikolaos Plastiras, who was the first to visualize the construction of an artificial lake in the area.
Creating the reservoir
After the Second World war, the idea was revived by Plastiras as he was proclaimed Prime Minister. The (then newly formed) Power Corporation adopted the project as part of their effort to electrify the country. An international contest was held in 1953 that was won by the French Omniun Lyonnais. The building of the dam started on December 14, 1955. On October 30, 1960 the dam was officially inaugurated, although the flooding may have started as early as the last months of 1959.
- The lake today
Today the lake holds up to 400 million cubic meters of fresh water. It is used for irrigation and as a power source of a hydroelectric plant, but also as the main water source to the city of Karditsa. Due to its altitude (one of the highest in Europe) the Tavropos Reservoir is a popular tourist resort in Greece, as the formed landscape is quite unique.
• Paleokarya Waterfall
We are also visiting the idyllic landscape of Paleokarya Waterfall and Pyli’s Stone Bridge . The stone bridge of Paleokarya with its 2 artificial waterfalls has been standing there since the 16th century. The bridge of Palaiokaryas connected the Region of Thessaly to the Region of Epirus. It is a stone arched bridge with a length of 26 meters. The 12 meters high waterfall behind the bridge creates a stunning image!
• Stone Bridge of Pyli
Until 1936 this bridge was the only passage from Thessaly to Epirus, joining the mountains Itamos and Koziakas. It is the second largest arch bridge of Thessaly built in 1514 by St. Vissarion.
The opening of the arch is 29 meters approximately, the maximum height reaches the 13 meters, has a total length of 65.67 meters and a deck width of 2.10 meters. The bridge has been restored in 1968 and 1983.
• Stone Bridge of Sarakina
Sarakina village is known for its famous stone bridge (14th c.). The Bridge served the transport from Pindos villages and Aspropotamos village to Sarakinaand surrounding villages.
The bridge connects Sarakina with isolated rock “Petra” in the north, down from which it is built the chapel of the Holy Apostles in 17th century with frescoes from various ages. Previously served to transport to the villages of Pindos and Epirous.
Today it replaced by a new bridge, which is 150 m near to the old bridge. The total length of the old bridge is 123 m. From the old bridge now saved four semicircular arches form. The bridge was built with the help of Saint Vissarion in 1520. It is the most remarkable and important art monument from our architectural heritage, in the prefecture of Trikala.
We start with our vehicle at a convenient time. Private All Day Plastiras Photo Tour, is scheduled at a different time around the year, depending the time difference. We take a break to have lunch in a traditional Greek tavern and finally we finish after 8+ hours.
During your vacation in Greece , make sure that you visit Meteora Region and Plastiras Lake and shoot from the best spots. Take the unique opportunity to have the best photos , in Plastiras Lake mountains and the surrounding area.
Book your “Private All Day Plastiras Lake Photo Tour” now!
- Who: For anyone with a passion for travel and photography who wants a private, hands on experience and an unforgettable journey through Plastiras Lake.
- Time and Duration of Tour: 8 Hours. Time will be confirmed at booking based on time of year.
- Group Size: Our Meteora Photo Tours are scheduled for 1-3 participants. 3 is the maximum to ensure you get the most out of the tour.
- Cost: €249 for 1 participant | €299 for 2 participants | €349 for 3 participants
- Meeting Point: Meeting point is at your hotel. We will pick you up from and drop you off at your hotel. We can accommodate other arrangements.
- Experience & Difficulty: From beginner to professional Photographers. Touring will be done by vehicle combined with easy paced walking and small to medium elevation changes along the way. There will be some walking on uneven routes so make sure you wear appropriate shoes.
- Time of Year: The Plastiras Lake Photo Tour is held every day, in all seasons throughout the year in Meteora – Greece.
- Your Photographer and Guide: Tour is led by Christos the professional photographer and Konstantina ,Meteora locals, with discussions and tips on composition, different angles, technical aspects and everyday usage of your camera and some historical things about the area of Meteora.
- Other Things Provided: Snacks and water will be provided. We will also give you a small gift to remember Meteora by.
It will be good to bring a tripod, or ask us to bring one for you!
What is included
• Hotel pick up and drop off are provided
What is not included
• Meal prices
If you want to arrange your accommodation at Meteora or Plastiras Lake , let us know.
For more than 3 participants please contact us.
Contact us for more information, or any of your questions.